Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Best books for adoptive parents


Maybe instead of working all day on my day-off I'll finally check out some adoption books at the library. I suppose I feel strangely avoidant of learning about the challenges of adoption. Maybe I'm not ready for more "challenge." For just a moment, I let myself think, "I just want to be normal. I just want to have a normal life. Why does everything involve so much effort?" And because I'm putting the mindfulness techniques I'm working on in therapy into practice, I won't dwell on the thought, but I notice it. I won't judge it. I won't beat myself for longing for something simpler. 

Things in life have never come easy for me. And maybe that's okay. I think I like where I am right now. And if I have to fight tooth and nail to bring our child home and give him or her the life they deserve, I think I'm okay with that. I notice that longing for normalcy, but I watch it drift away. I want this life- normal or not. 


Best Books for Adoptive Parents

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I enjoy reading your blog. I am an adoptive mom of three and thought I would suggest another great read: Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew by Sherrie Eldridge. I feel I learned a lot by reading that book. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vanessa! I will definitely check that out. The number of books available on the topic can be overwhelming so it's very helpful to have a recommendation.

      Delete